How to get baby to sleep through the night? These expert tips on how to get 9 month old to sleep through the night will surely help you. Our little ones are always demanding, and as parents, we always love seeing those adorable eyes closed during the night. But this isn’t the case when it comes to newborns. This is because newborns can’t differentiate between night and day.
The other problem is when your baby is having several short bursts of sleep during the day which end up affecting his/her night sleep. It is always recommended that you decide the right nap schedule for 9 month old in order not to affect their nighttime sleep. So, to avoid all these and more, you need to teach and establish good sleep habits for babies.
How To Get Baby To Sleep Through The Night?
One trick that every parent knows about making their kids sleep is by making them tired. But do you know the ways to trigger tiredness? Or do you know some better tips apart from making your baby tired? Don’t worry, here are some tips:
- Establish a wake-sleep schedule: According to Dr. Ahmann, a pediatrician, children respond well to a schedule. Therefore, if you have a nap schedule (which is mandatory) for your kid during the day, don’t let them oversleep in the morning. This is because when your baby oversleeps, he won’t quickly get that day nap at the right time, hence affecting their night sleep. And since a baby can’t easily get sleep precisely as planned throughout the entire week, you will need to go for sleep triggers. Dr. Ahmaan also says that “If your baby regularly has a tough time falling asleep at night, you may need to adjust their nap schedule,” Adjust your afternoon and morning naps.
Time of nap
- Try to use light strategically: This is a trick mostly to the newborns, but it can still apply to other kids. So, according to The No-Cry Sleep Solution author Elizabeth Pantley, “Lights push your child’s biological ‘go’ button.” This is because melatonin, which is a sleep hormone, gets triggered by darkness. So, since darkness triggers your brain to release this hormone, you will need to keep your baby’s night dark and day bright. Thus helping him learn the difference, and you should try these tricks to make this tip work:
- During the day, ensure that you expose them too much light even during their nap time unless it affects their sleep.
- Use dimmer night-light on the night time to help trigger sleep hormones.
- If your baby wakes up during the night, don’t turn on a bright light, just feed her if she is hungry and soothe her to sleep. Ensure you maintain that deem lighting.
- You can use darkening shade on the window during the day to prompt her to sleep.
- Put her to bed when she is drowsy, not asleep: One mistake that most of us moms do is putting the baby to bed when she is already asleep. It’s not wrong to hold your baby to sleep, but it isn’t a good idea, though. This is because babies who drift off on their own are more likely to sleep better and easier on their own. The aim here is to teach your kids to soothe themselves when the naps times come. This tip is mostly essential for breastfeeding moms, and they need to master it. More importantly, this tip will help both you and your kid have a better and more comfortable rest.
- Make daytime playtime: If your aim is to get your baby sleep longer at night, then you need to create playtime during the day. The importance is that it will keep him awake more during the day, and by nighttime they will be tired and drowsy, thus sleeping longer during the night. However, you should not keep him awake all day long, too, because it might make him stressful and harder to sleep at night. Therefore, there should be a nap time at least once a day.
- Maintain or add relaxation rules during bedtime: Sometimes babies can be stressed up and unrelaxed because of various things; therefore, you need to keep your baby relaxed for him to sleep. So here are things that you can do:
- Diaper changing
First, get high-quality overnight diapers for your child to avoid changing it several times. So, if your baby wakes up, minimize your engagement, and if the diapers are soiled, change them, then soothe him back to sleep.
- Feed your baby
If your baby is not well fed, then he/she will wake up with lots of whining. You can try feeding your bay between 10 pm and midnight because it will allow them to sleep well and longer. Note: avoid fluids intake at this time.
- Use lullabies or bedtime stories
If your baby sleep too much during day time nap, then there is a high probability that he will have a hard time sleeping at night. So, start by making sure they are well-fed, then use lullabies or bedtime stories while they are on their beds and in a deem lighted room. This will help soothe them into sleep.